Christmas time is always a double-edged sword for me, being the proverbial glass-half-empty moron that I am. Retail has already diminished the kind of rosy holiday cheer my wife would like me to show, a disposition I haven’t really ever embraced, unfortunately. I used to give my parents shit as a child for spending too much money on my sister and I, and that ornery streak was only amplified by my sister’s incessant need to unwrap our gifts long before Christmas morning (she’d actually unwrap them and rewrap them without Mom or Dad ever knowing it).
These days however, I recognize that Life is short and precious, and we never know when our lives will be upended by tragedy or (financial) ruin. While our government leaders play High Stakes poker with our economic futures, and the Health Care business makes crazy money off people’s suffering, the 24/7 news cycle is something to sideline any cheery folk and drive one straight into their dark places forever.
This year though, I am not dancing to that tune. Or at least, I am trying not to.
My wife asked me what I want for Christmas this year, and just like every year, I pretty much say the same thing – the bills paid, sleep, and if she’s feeling frisky, well, you know…
Yet here are a few choice Christmas wishes I would like to share with y’all:
- Congress and the President to actually work together for the good of the people and not the good of only the rich people. (A fool’s errand, I know).
- Everyone to respect one another and look out for one another. All the crap in the world would just go away if we did that (maybe).
- My bills paid. (I am working on it.)
- My mother and sister to put the past behind them and get along. (Because, it’s about fuckin’ time.)
- My wife to feel healthier and get her independence back. (Because she deserves it.)
- Maynard James Keenan, Eric Glomski and Paula Woolsey from Arizona Stronghold to do a bottle signing at our Fort Thomas store the day Maynard’s band, Puscifer, plays Taft Theatre in Cincinnati.
- Another trip to Washington State.
- Get my house cleaned up and renovated.
- All of my family and friends to feel loved, safe and happy.
- And of course, more people to read this bloody blog! Hope at least that Santa is reading…